Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Reflection #1: Unit Q: Concept 1-5

What does it actually mean to verify a trig function?
To verify a trig function is when you have one of the problems like in one of the concepts 1 or 5 and then just equaling the left side to the right side. It is like you are given a puzzle and you have a picture of the puzzle completed but you only have puzzle pieces. You have to put the pieces together to get it to look like the picture. It's as simple as that, but contains more math and is more challenging. 

What tips and tricks have you found helpful? 
Some tips that I recommend are to look at the problem and look for simple things to do or change don't over think the problem because the answer will fly by your head. Some tricks that I use is to actually memorize the identities that way you don't have to keep referring to your SSS packet. 

Explain your thought process and steps you take in verifying a trig identity.
My thought process first is to recognize what I have and look for simple things to do. I always try a few things like looking for a GCF, Substituting an identity, The conjugate, CLT, Separating fractions, and factoring. I try looking to see if any of these will work most of the time the problems are simple, but I overthink everything and do way more than I have to. Then make sure to write the steps that you have taken in order to receive credit, but to also help you remember what you had done in order to get that answer. Personally I think verifying is easier than simplifying because verifying already gives you the answer and when you simplify you are not sure whether you are right or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment